Our roots are planted right here in the Red River Valley, which makes it especially important for us to focus on this area’s ongoing financial health and continued growth. That’s why we spend our time and resources supporting the communities we serve here in North Dakota and Minnesota. This is our home too, and it has been for more than a century. Here is a little background on each of our branches:
United Valley Bank was founded in 1905 in Cavalier, North Dakota, 29 years after the town was established. Originally named Merchants and Farmers Bank of Cavalier, Pembina County Judge Robert McBride was the bank’s organizer and first president.
Through the years, the bank came under national ownership; it was later purchased by First Bank System and returned to its state charter in 1937. In 1987, the bank was brought back to local ownership when the local board of directors purchased it from First Bank System.
In 1998, United Valley Bank opened its Columbia Road branch in Grand Forks, North Dakota. A large remodeling project gave the building more space and a stunning new look in 2014. A downtown Grand Forks branch opened in 2003.
Argyle State Bank was opened June 1, 1936 by local businessmen A.W. (Arvid) Carlson and A.L. (Tony) Carlson. Area farmers worked with the Carlsons to establish Argyle’s new bank, and the first Board of Directors consisted of A.W. Carlson, A.L. Carlson, C.G. Moline, E.I. Amundgaard and Joe Coninx. Arvid Carlson was the first president of the bank. Argyle State Bank continued to grow and serve the Argyle community under the ownership of the Carlson family until 2004, when it joined the United Valley Bank family.
Humboldt State Bank originated twelve miles north of Hallock, Minnesota. In 1943, the charter moved to Hallock, and the bank’s name was changed to Northwestern State Bank. In 2002, the bank was sold, and the name was changed to Marshall Bank, N.A. in 2003. In January of 2010, the Hallock location was acquired by United Valley Bank.
In the late 1970s, Minnesota began branch banking. It was at that time that Northwestern State Bank in Hallock, Minnesota, opened a branch in Lancaster, Minnesota. The Lancaster location became a branch of Marshall Bank, N.A. in 2003 after Northwestern State Bank changed ownership. In January 2010, the Lancaster location was purchased by United Valley Bank.
First National Bank Mahnomen was originally chartered on June 8, 1926. It was family owned until January 19, 2018, when it was purchased by United Valley Bank.
Starting out as First National Bank Twin Valley in 1902, it became Twin Valley State Bank in 1944. In 2012, it was purchased by First National Bank and was later acquired by United Valley Bank in 2018.
Since 1916, Northern Sky Bank has been a partner in the growth and progress of the Crookston, Minnesota, area. It has always operated as an independent community bank – committed to reinvesting in local houses, businesses, schools and civic projects. It was merged with United Valley Bank in March of 2021.
Our Board Of Directors
Back Row (left to right): Barry Hanson, Tim Siegle, Perry Skaurud, Greg Mayo, Daniel Rust, Pete Haddeland
Front Row (left to right): Drew Olafson, Bob Vivatson, Scott Mahar